Search This Blog

30 Jan 2012

Johdpur

After four days of loafing about it was finally time to go.  I dragged myself out of my very uncomfortable bed at 8am, threw my few possessions into my bag and went.  It is always cold at that time of day but I was lucky to get a bus out of town straight away.  It was full locals on their way to Ajmer, the nearest large town.  It was a bone shaking 30minutes but the sun was getting stronger.  
From Ajmer there was another bone shaking wreck of a bus to Jodhpur.  The five hours being bounced about passed, the bus was warm and not too crowded. It even stopped for lunch.  We haven't reached the desert yet. The landscape is still scrubby fields and small trees.  It's all quite brown after the end of the rainy season and the air is very dry.  I feel like the moisture is being sucked out of my body and I can never drink enough to replace it.
The bus arrived in Johdpur at around 3pm and for once there was no trouble  from auto-rickshaw drivers.  I had booked this lovely old guesthouse just underneath the fort and the driver just took me there for the agreed sum of 50 rupees, about 60p.  This new place is beautifully furnished with wall hangings and antique furniture.  It's set around a central courtyard with three floors of rooms overlooking it.  I have a room with a view of the old city and it's elaborate clock tower. From the roof top restaurant you can look up to the fort which grows out of the cliff side.  The outside is bare and rugged but the inside is a beautiful  palace with cool marble interiors and delicately carved sandstone windows.  
The city is quieter than the others and I would have stayed but my train ticket to Jaisalmer  has been confirmed for 5:05 tomorrow morning so I'll be leaving without really experiencing the city.  One thing though, they still have horse drawn carriages as a form of public transport!

No comments:

Post a Comment