Search This Blog

23 Jan 2012

My first railway journey

It was a very early start for me to get the 6:05 train out of Delhi to Jaipur.  My night was made even more difficult after eating a disgusting meal in the hotel. I was up most of the night and felt really bad the next day.  A shame really as the train journey came with food and something they called a "tea kit", a little paper envelope with two tea bags, sugar and powdered milk. I managed the tea but passed on the breakfast and slept most of the way there.
My new hotel, The Savoy no less, is charming. The room is big and the bed covered an embroidered quilt.  I slept really well and kept warm unlike the room in Delhi.
Jaipur,like Delhi, is chaotic, dusty and noisy but on a much smaller scale.  I did the City Palace, took a cyclo tour around the old city and visited the Hawa Mahal, a beautiful palace where women would peak out of tiny shuttered windows to watch the goings on in the streets below.  From the top you get a fantastic view of the city and the forts on top of the surrounding hills.  The old city is painted a dusty pink and contained by city walls.  You can walk around it if you want but I'm planning to take it easy and not rush about. It's the capital of Rajasthan and still big and I'm looking forward to my next stop in Pushkar which is tiny and has a religious lake in the middle.
I've seen my first camel and first elephant and yes, the elephant was wearing makeup.  I videoed two musicians playing a drum an accordion with my iPad.  This thing is coming in very useful for writing, surfing and now filming.  It'll be on YouTube very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment