Search This Blog

1 Feb 2012

Jaisalmer

I hate getting up in the morning but the trains around here are infrequent and early so I dragged myself out of my bed at 4am to meet the train.  I'd been wait listed by the super efficient Indian train service and my confirmation had come through.  The train arrived on time and I crawled into the recently vacated and still warm sleeper berth and started towards my new destination, the desert city of Jaisalmer.  That's the best thing about sleeper  trains. You can lie there and watch the world go by in great comfort.
I and a Japanses girl were met by a driver at the station and taken to the Hotel Tokyo, modern, functional but a little away from the main sites. 
Ive booked the canal safari and the evenings are beginning to get a little warmer so hopefully it will work out well and I'll have a great time.  I've done too much site seeing and need some activity.
Today I'm doing the city. The fort is impressive, it's almost the only thing here. People live in it still and it has a beautiful palace, a labyrinth of tiny rooms designed to keep cool and catch any available breeze.  It would have been the place to stay and I will after my safari is complete.  The lanes are narrow, just wide enough for a motorbike or a cow and the walls and windows are delicately carved from the local yellow stone. There is an old bit of town too which I'll explore after sipping a lemon juice on the roof of one of the many fort restaurants. Oh yes, and I found the Bhang shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment