Search This Blog

13 Feb 2012

A few days in Udaipur

This is a pleasant place to stay for a few days and relax.  My room has it's own balcony which gets the sun up to about 3 pm each day and from  there I can do up onto the roof to continue with the sun until 6pm.  But it's not all been loafing about and sunning myself.  
I booked a trek in the countryside which turned out well. They picked me up from my guesthouse and took me to a beautiful house in the countryside. It's a hotel run by an English guy and looks expensive.  They gave me a guide and we set off on paths across fields, through woods and tracks to small villages. The hills around the town are fertile and contain hidden lakes and streams even at this dry time of year.  I came across my first holy man who lived in a tent next to a cave.  I wanted to ask him if I could take his picture but he was too busy talking on his mobile so I missed my chance. The walk lasted about four hours and ended back at the house for delicious lunch of mushroom soup, salad and toasted sandwiches. These people eat vast amounts but this food was delicious so I ate it all.  Finally they  took me home on the back of a motorbike.
I took a boat ride cross the lake to one of the fancy island hotels.  Once there I realised their attraction.  They are quiet and free from the ever present tang of urine which has come to characterise India to me.  The great smell of Cow shit and urine.  The hotel had laid out tables in the sun for lunch.  I didn't get to see the menu.  Every menu I have seen consists almost entirely of potatoes. Potatoes with cheese, potatoes with tomatoes, potatoes with mixed veg.  It doesn't seem to matter what the menu says, you get potatoes.
These are my last few hours in the city. I have a sleeper bus leaving at 4:30 for Agra and from  there on to Delhi and the plane home.  I am pining for a bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup and a menu that has no potatoes on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment