Search This Blog

6 Nov 2010

Garden Centres

I'm going to a house warming party tonight hosted by two American ladies who started at the same time as me.  We call them 'The Ladies' and for some reason the name has stuck.  I've had my drinks party the other week and they are having theirs tonight.  Rather than just take booze ( although I probably will as well ) I went to one of the garden centres along the road from my building to buy a plant.  The Ladies have a fine roof terrace and they talked about filling it with plants.  There's a row of garden centres squeezed up against the main road that runs from Sky Gardens to the university and they are all busy with vans coming and going loading up with plants.

I picked out a pink lily but the woman made me put it back and pressed the one she selected on me.  They all looked the same to me. I like to play the discerning customer occasionally but thought it wise to defer to her expert knowledge.  I found a rounded, ochre coloured, ceramic pot for it and she gave everything to a boy to pot up and put stones around the rim, to help drainage I imagine.  I watched the boy doing a good job with the plant,  giving it a final spray and a wipe around the pot.

The whole thing came to 90,000 dong, about £3 for plant, pot and the service.  Quite a bargain, I hope the Ladies like it in their new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment